aw yeah, you read that right. BAKED, baby.
here in the past year i have really developed a love for cooking. i've always, i guess, enjoyed it, but lately it's become my thing. my stress reliever. my creative outlet. i like to find inspiration for recipes and then make them my own. nevermind the fact that i usually have to "make them my own" because i don't have half of what a certain recipe calls for in my fridge or pantry, so i just substitute for what i think would work & go from there.
tomatoes. to-MA-toes, right?
we don't own a fryer. does anyone remember fry daddy's? that big, black, deep, scary looking contraption that my parents always used when i was a kid to make hush puppies or whatever. i never liked that thing. it popped hot grease that hurt when it hit me, so that resulted in me never cooking bacon until about 2 years ago. hot grease is scary. actually the oven in general is scary and i've burned myself more times than i wanna admit, but now i'm just rambling.
so enter all the baked version of "fried" food. i made homemade chinese-ish chicken the other night using this method, but that's another story for another day.
tonight, i was home alone with luna because lee went to a concert with his brother and onion rings just entered my mind. i had an extremely busy & stressful work day, so why not turn on some music and dance it out in the kitchen?
sounds good to me.
baked onion rings.
1 medium white onion
1/3 cup of flour
heaping tablespoon of chili powder
heaping tablespoon of garlic powder
1 cup of panko
non stick spray
1. preheat oven to 450 & slice your onion long ways so it makes rings & place into a bowl of water. if you don't know how to do that, then abort this recipe. you're doomed.
2. start by combining the flour, chili powder, and garlic powder (plus a little salt to taste) in a bowl.
3. add the egg in a separate bowl.
4. panko in a third bowl.
5. you know the drill. onion to flour to egg to panko.
6. place on a heavily greased baking sheet (i used non stick spray) & bake for about 11 minutes.
7. serve with your favorite sauce.